03 December 2009

"Warheads on Foreheads"

Yesterday, the New York Times published an update of the C.I.A. drone program in Pakistan. Although the United States will not officially comment on the existence of this program, there is evidence of its significance throughout the war.

Here's the lovely nut-graf:
"One of Washington’s worst-kept secrets, the drone program is quietly hailed by counterterrorism officials as a resounding success, eliminating key terrorists and throwing their operations into disarray. But despite close cooperation from Pakistani intelligence, the program has generated public anger in Pakistan, and some counterinsurgency experts wonder whether it does more harm than good." - Scott Shane. "C.I.A. Is Expanding Drone Assaults Inside Pakistan. New York Times. 03 Dec. 2009.

In the October 26th issue of the New Yorker, Jane Mayer detailed the reality of this seemingly unknown program. This was the first time I read about drones (yes, it is possible that I often exist only in the world of undergrads) and personally, I was shocked by the story. Let me be clear -- I was not shocked this program existed, for I understand that 'All's fair in love and...etc..blah blah' but, I was shocked that nobody else was talking much about the issue. I assumed that most liberals would feel strongly against these sort of attacks, especially those who were against the death-penalty, etc? (Although, now that I think about it, maybe those two are not easily comparable since one is a moral issue and the other involves national security.) Still, I assumed there would be more controversy. Especially with this fun little fact...

"More C.I.A. drone attacks have been conducted under President Obama than under President George W. Bush." - Shane.

Che interessante...

No comments:

Post a Comment