03 December 2009

The Mission

Here's the deal - I am a born and raised country girl from a small town called Justin, Texas. I am also a third-year journalism student at New York University. As far as American politics are concerned, I have found myself in the center of one of the most conservative states, and then one of the most liberal cities in the country. Now I am left with a major question: where the heck do I fit in? In NYC I am always too conservative for most, while back home I am typically the small-town-girl who's parents sadly lost her to those 'crazy Yankee liberals'.
So this is what this blog is all about - my attempt to understand my own political thoughts and opinions. In true (hypothetical) journalistic style, I plan on going into this project as a completely blank slate. I hope to be open to persuasion by any and every political party, maybe even those that are less traditional. I will do my best to keep myself out of the stories (this entry is obviously an exception, since I needed to explain this crazy plan), and let the information speak for itself. I expect that I will blog a 'journal' type comment as a reaction to what I have learned, but only to show my individual interpretation. Obviously I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything - shoot, I don't even know what I think yet!
I want this blog to be a forum for both liberal and conservative thoughts, without analysis that could taint or judge one side's opinion. This seems like the most fair, unbiased way for me to approach this self-discovery. Ideally, I should be able to walk away from this crazy endeavour confidently -- or at the very least, extremely well informed. Wish me luck.

Sidenote: Any comments, thoughts, opinions -- criticisms even? -- are more than welcome. Any books, websites, TV programs, twitters, etc. that you believe I would find useful or interesting is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment