02 November 2010

Can ANYONE tell me how to vote?

“This might be the stupidest question you’ve heard all day,” I said. “But how exactly do you register to vote?”

As soon as I spoke these words, I could feel my cheeks getting warmer and my wool scarf shrinking tighter around my throat. I wondered if I should just hang myself with my scarf, out of pure shame.

“You see, I’m from Texas and I know I was registered there once but I live here now so can I register?” I was rambling.

“Have I seen you on television?” Said Frank, a smiling worker at the 283 Avenue C polling station in Manhattan.

Frank could not answer my question.

I was then directed to another worker named Yolanda. I repeated my dilemma, explaining that I wasn’t sure if I qualified to be a New York State voter, since my permanent residence is still Justin, Texas.

Yolanda did not know.

The question of the voting eligibility of students, especially those who move out of their home state and change their addresses yearly, has tortured me for years. I am simultaneously ashamed for not knowing and baffled because nobody I ask seems to know either. Surely, I am not the only student with this problem.

Yolanda told me to follow her to the back of the room, where the actual voting took place. Here I met Marjorie and again repeated my question.

Marjorie directed me to the New York State Voter Registration Form. It was only one page long and conveniently pre-folded into a mail-able format. The print was bold and clear – it seemed easy enough to me.

We spoke briefly about the voter turnout of today, Tuesday, Nov. 2. Yolanda told me they had been busy. This was not surprising, since many Americans are anxious to voice their opinions about the current administration. The results could take away the one-party power Democrats have had for two years.

I asked if I was the youngest person they had seen and they said they weren’t sure. At least while I was there, in the late afternoon, I was the only person younger than 30.

As I was leaving, I unfolded and briefly skimmed the form. At the very bottom, I read the affidavit.

I am a citizen of the United States. (Yes.)

I will have lived in the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election. (Yes.)

I meet all requirements to register to vote in New York State. (Maybe?)

If the above information is not true, I can be convicted and fined to $5,000 and/or jailed for up to four years. (Fantastic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment